Leaseholders and Freeholders..
Leaseholders live in flats where they own the leasehold of the flat but the freehold of the block belongs to Hackney Council. The flats are managed by Hackney Homes on behalf of Hackney Council.
Hackney Homes is an Arm's Length Management Organisation, created to manage, maintain and improve council housing in Hackney. It is a non-profit organisation and does not pay dividends to any shareholders..
Leaseholders and Freeholders
We aim to provide excellent services for leaseholders and freeholders. This is provided by our dedicated Leasehold and Freehold Customer Service Team, based at Christopher Addison House, 72 Wilton Way, London E8 1BJ and open between 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Our approach is to.
- Accurately calculate annual service changes for leaseholders and freeholders who pay service charges
- Provide advice and support to assist with the payment of annual service charges
- Provide all leaseholders and freeholders with comprehensive information about Home Ownership Services. This includes:
- Leaseholder and Freeholder Handbook
- Website located at www.hackneyhomes.org.uk
- A welcome pack for all new leaseholders
- dedicated newsletter twice a year and information in the monthly Hackney Homes newsletter
- Provide leaseholders and freeholders with opportunities to attend events including a major works advice day, an annual conference and a financial advice day
- Ensure that a dedicated Leasehold Officer is provided in each Neighbourhood Housing Office to assist Leaseholders and Freeholders who pay service charges
- Provide a full breakdown of the details and costs of all major work charges
- Provide a breakdown summary of actual service charges on request, with appropriate job tickets
- Carry out full consultation with leaseholders, in line with legal requirements and prior to initiating works, where the individual cost of major works will be more than £250
- Offer a dispute resolution service
- Offer a range of repayment options for service charges, including payments on-line and by telephone, by payment book, standing order and direct debit
- Offer a wide range of repayment options for major works, including a one year, interest-free option
- Provide support and debt advice, including referrals to independent financial advice
- Supply an assignment package, containing essential information for leaseholders selling their home, within 10 days of receiving payment for this service
Our service standards.
- We will provide an estimated service charge bill in March of each year
- We will provide an actual service charge bill in September of each year
- We will provide an account balance within 3 working days of one being requested
- We will provide a service charge statement every 6 months (in April and October)
- We will aim to collect 100% of the service charges owed to Hackney Homes/ Hackney Council and take action to recover these costs under the terms of the lease
- We will issue legal consultation notices to leaseholders within 10 days of instructions
- We will respond to requests to make improvements or alterations within 15 working days.
Leaseholder & Freeholder contact details
If you have any queries you can phone the Leasehold & RTB Customer Services Team on 020 8356 2100 or email;