What is a Tenant Management Organisation (TMO)?
Do you ever think you could do a better job than Hackney Homes at managing your home? If so, becoming a tenant management organisation (TMO) could be for you.
In 1994, the law changed to give Council tenants the 'Right to Manage' their own homes by setting up a TMO.
Here, the term 'tenant' means both secure council tenants and lessees.
TMOs manage homes on behalf of the Council. Each one is an independent organisation which is run by a committee of residents. These residents are elected to the committee by their neighbours to represent their views and manage the services the TMO takes on.
TMO tenants are still tenants of the Council.
Each TMO chooses the services it wants to take on - some manage the caretaking and basic repairs service, others do this but also external decorations and major works. The services each TMO does can also change over time as new ones are taken on or handed back to the Council.
The committee do not usually do the work themselves - they employ staff and contractors to do it.
The TMO gets an allowance (grant) from the Council.
There are ten TMOs in Hackney and Hackney Homes provides them with a range of services. These TMOs manage over 5000 properties run of which over 3600 are tenanted and 1400 are leasehold properties.
Usually residents of a block or estate come together and look at the options for taking over services themselves.
If they decide a TMO is the best option for them they normally follow a three stage process:
They are supported in this process by a dedicated team in Hackney Homes.
We want our TMOs to be successful so we do all that we can to help, for example:
- arranging training for committee members and staff,
- having specialist workers in Hackney Homes to give advice and support
- letting TMOs know when they are doing well or not so well
- organising forums for TMO managers, and committee members. The forums allow us to share experiences, exchange information and consult on our plans and policies.
- Contact the TMO team - ·on 020 8356 6027
- find out more about the process of setting up a TMO from the ·National Federation of TMOs - a Government recognised organisation that helps and supports TMOs
- contact ·existing TMOs, who are an excellent source of information
- from the ·Department for Communities and Local Government